Here is a hierarchy of the methods for building links back to your website. We have ranked these so that you can see which ones are most worth your time. Some link building methods generate more quality links than others.
- Link Exchange is by far the number one method for generating quality links. Use a managed exchange program to find other businesses in your industry that are also looking for link partners. Despite what a lot of people say about link exchange, it is one of the best legitimate forms of link building out there. If you are really wanting to build quality links, then the best way is to exchange blog content. You write something about your business, in exchange for someone doing the same on your blog.
- The second most important link building method is to make sure your website is worth linking too. Even the best link building strategies are no match for organic links from people who find your website interesting. Also good content can be shared, which builds further authority for your website.
- Next you might want to look at building a blog at wordpress.com or blog.com. These websites allow you to attract more links, more authority and more traffic for your own website. If you build a secondary blog, and then build links to that too, you could end up with your own hub or news site that you can build authority for.
- Despite the recent Panda changes to Google’s algorithm, Article submission is still a strong tactic for building links, as long as you are submitting to the right places. Article submission works best in very competitive environments, but it is not so good when you are struggling for content in the first place. A website link Directory Critic will show you the best places to submit original content.
- If you are struggling to find ways to improve the visibility of your website, you could start to engage in forums. There are thousands of forums to choose from. If you start to get engaged, you will quickly find ways to get links back to your website. Also most forums allow you to add a signature to the bottom of all your comments, which again will raise the profile of your business.
- The sixth most important link building strategy would be to submit content to social media. A lot of the best social media have very strong spam controls and ways to prevent rubbish from appearing on their website, so be warned. Make sure that you only submit interesting content that people would want to read. As with all communities, you should spend some time reading and talking in social media forums before you start to submit content.
- There are some web directories that will generate the right links for you, in your industry. Blanket and broad websites that accept all links are very bad for your time, and a big waste. The best directories are the ones that generate traffic and links back to your site. You may have to pay to have your submission looked at, but they are still better than links that don’t generate traffic.
- Lastly I would look at blog commenting. Blog commenting on any blog is worth a link, but in order to do it on a big enough scale, you have to Spam, which is a bad idea.